Tuesday, November 11, 2008

THANK YOU



THIS IS FOR YOU

There is that bumper sticker that says, "If you can read this...thank a teacher. If you can read it in English...thank a soldier." Many of you agree with this sentiment I would venture to guess. Have you ever done it? Have you ever gone up to a soldier and said, "Thank you" to him/her? I'm not talking about someone you know that is in the military. I'm not talking about waving and saying, "Thank you" as a soldier drives by in a parade. Have you ever gone up to a complete stranger, who is obviously in the military, and said, "Thank you" to him?I have. I try to do it as often as possible. Honestly, the first time I was about to do it...I felt stupid. It was a heart felt thank you, but I was embarrassed to go up to a complete stranger. That was until I did it. I believe my exact words were, "Thank you for all you do for this country." Simple. Straight-forward. The reply came, "I'm just doing my job, Sir." But then there was that hint of a smile from him. The kind that made me believe what I said meant more to that soldier than I thought. It made me wonder if anyone had ever thanked him before. I didn't ask though. I just went about my business. It felt good. It felt good because I thought that I made him feel appreciated.The next time it wasn't as hard. The reply this time was, "You're welcome, Sir." Again, there was that look. That look like maybe he had never been told thank you before. Again, it was a great feeling, but almost a disturbing one at the same time. I started wondering even more....had no one ever said thank you to these soldiers?The third time was an older gentleman selling the little flowers for the VFW I think. This time I said, "Thank you for all you did for this country." He got visibly upset....not mad....but he was shaking a little bit. I felt horrible. Did I insult him by thanking him I was thinking. I didn't know what to do. I froze up. The older gentleman stood up and said to me, "Young man. No one has ever thanked me for my service. When you said, 'Thank you' to me, it was like a release." I couldn't believe it. I would guess the man was in his 70's and somehow, no one ever thanked him for his brave service to this nation. I was shocked to the point that I didn't know what to say or do. I smiled and continued walking out to my car.I have said, "Thank you" in one form or another many, many times now. I very often get what I now call "The Look" when I thank them. I have since asked many of them if they have ever been thanked. Most reply, "No, but it is my honor to serve this nation" or something very similar. No ego. No attitude. Just pure PRIDE.These courageous men and women are willing to put their lives on the line for us and for our country. They do so with honor and with pride. They don't do it so that they can hear, "Thank you" from us. That doesn't mean we don't owe them a great big "Thank you." My gosh, it is the very least we can do. Try it. Next time you see a man or woman in uniform, walk up to them and just say, "Thank you." or "Thank you for all you do for this country" or one of my favorites "Thank you for protecting my family." I guarantee you will get "The Look" more often than you won't. I don't care if you are shy. I don't care if you feel stupid. Do it anyway. Believe me, it is worth it. Let them all know they have our support, our love and our admiration again .


-- THANK YOU



And just a quick side note, I use the term "Soldier." I am aware that different branches of the military call themselves different names....soldiers, marines, sailors, etc. My use of the term "soldier" is meant to encompass all of our armed forces.


No comments: